Curry of the week : 8-June-97
Jardaloo Sali Boti - Lamb cooked with apricot
- 675g (1.5lb) lean lamb or other meat, cubed
- 85ml (3floz) vinegar
- vegetable oil (up to 6 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons mixed whole nuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 6-8 dried apricots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- salt to taste
- Spices 1 (whole)
- Spices 2 (ground)
- Trim the meat of any fat, gristle etc. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas 5.
- Place meat, vinegar and spices 1 into a lidded casserole, and put in the
preheated oven for twenty minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and fry the onions, and the ginger
and garlic purees, until golden. Add spices 2, and fry for a further five
minutes. Add water if the mixture becomes too dry.
- when the casserole comes out of the oven add all the remaining ingredients,
except for the coriander and the salt. Stir, add
a little water if necessary, and return the casserole to the oven.
- After a further 20 minutes take it out again. Inspect, stir, taste. Add
the fresh coriander, and salt to taste.
- Return to the oven which can now be switched off. Serve when the meat is